Because of the love of the church and with the help of God,
we affirm our commitment to the following attitudes and behaviors
- To create a safe environment, I will uphold the dignity of each person in our congregation, including our church leaders. I will consider the impact of my words and actions on others as I seek to make our church a safe place for all.
- My communication with others will be timely, direct, honest, open and sensitive, even as I may disagree with another’s assumptions, opinions, and decisions.
- I will accept differences. While I may have strong opinions, I acknowledge that others do also. I will embrace the diversity in our spiritual family, imagine other perspectives and be enriched by these differences.
- I understand that conflict is a part of life, including life in the church. I will accept disagreement adn conflict as inevitable and an opportunity for personal and church growth. I will concentrate on issues and problems, rather than personalities. I will avoid gossip.
- I understand that our church stays strong as each person is heard and as we seek the consensus of all our congregants. I will exercise personal patience and encourage healthful processes to work.
- I will engage in self-reflection and prayer, seeking ways that my presence will serve as a blessing on our church and its people. I will seek God’s guidance and grace to listen attentively and to remain open to visions that God hold for us. I will encourage prayer at the beginnings of church meetings and when decisions of the church and its various bodies are made.
- As I serve on a board or committee, I will refrain from making decisions that benefit only myself. I will seek decisions that will benefit the entire congregation.